Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Redneck Photography Supplies

If you know me, you know I love photography. I always take my camera with me. To the point that sometimes even I think it's crazy, but it's like an addiction - I have to have it, or maybe like American Express - "never leave home without it".

Anyway, as much as I love photography and drool over all of the extras that promise to make my photos better, I am, in reality, just a poor working girl that must really examine the cost of that picture perfect taking goodie and my motives for purchasing it vs. the cost. Is it really a "must have" or just a "want to have". OK, I'll confess, most everything is really a want to have and not a must have, but if I am very patient and really listen to myself, I can usually convince me that the want to haves are truly must haves so that way I can purchase them without the guilt. You understand, right? I know at least one of my (two) loyal readers understands u that concept. Anyway, I digress, it's late, and probably by now your wondering why I'm just rambling. There is a point. Although I can usually convince myself the purchase is worth the cost, I do look for the cheapest uh - sorry I meant to say most economical price.

I subscribe to several photography email blasts and the one today I thought was terrific. It provides tips on how to create or make some of the photo supplies yourself instead of purchasing them. So if you’re into photography, but don’t particularly want to spend big bucks on things that you may only end up using once or twice, and have the courage to attempt some do it yourself things – you have to check out the post on the following link.

http://digital-photography-school.com/diy-flash-and-lighting-hacks-for-digital-photographers

Some admittedly will probably make you look like a “Redneck Photographer”, but some are really pretty cool and don’t look that different from the “professional” version. If you any of you attempt to build any of these contraptions, I would like to know how they really work out for you. Me personally, I’m seriously considering that DIY Ghetto Flash Extender!

6 comments:

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

I LOVE the turkey pan beauty dish! Oh yes, I can relate to always wanting more. But I too have my limitations. As you know, I rarely purchase equipment ,yself. I give my list of must-hjaves to Doughboy and let him make the purchase for birthdays, anniversaries, etc. Come to think of it, I have never bought a camera. Doughboy has gifted me with every camera I've owned. Anyway, thanks for the tip. I subscribed to the FREE newsletter. Yes, even I aspire to being a redneck.

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

Jeez! Sorry for all the typos. I usually check my spelling before submitting my comment.

dsr524 said...

I thought your typos were probably intentional seeing as you aspire to be a redneck.

Chere said...

Redneck Doris, I like that. I too love to drool over the internet shopping for camera goodies. Lately I am doing more screen gazing than shopping.

Pam said...

You all just tease me. I still need to get a "real" camera!! Krista, please find a husband!

Jennifer said...

Now that's what I'm talkin' bout!! Great ideas!